D&T gives children the opportunity to develop knowledge, skills, and understanding of designing and making functional products. It helps to nurture creativity and innovation through design, and by exploring the designed and made world in which we all live and work.
Furthermore, D&T provides pupils with life-long learning opportunities, for example undertaking tasks without all the information necessary to complete them from the outset. Learning to cope with ambiguity is an important characteristic of a well-educated person. It will help to empower pupils and develop their self-confidence holistically.
In Design and Technology we aim to:
- Develop a love of D&T and its ability to express creativity through the delivery of high-quality teaching and learning.
- Develop pupils’ abilities to design, make and evaluate products.
- Develop pupils’ abilities to hypothesise, synthesise and reflect upon ideas
- Provide hands-on practical opportunities for pupils to explore working with a range of materials and tools.
- Develop opportunities for pupils to gain a deeper understanding of cooking, nutrition, and safety precautions.
- Develop hands-on practical opportunities for pupils to explore working with a range of materials and tools.
- Further enhance social and emotional wellbeing in all children.
- Provide opportunities to develop children’s leadership skills.
- Deliver high quality D&T across the school.
- Provide opportunities for all children to experience teamwork, collaboration, and communication skills.
- Provide pupils with opportunities to combine their design and making skills with knowledge and understanding they learn to create quality products.
- Achieve and exceed the expectations within the National Curriculum.
DT – We are designers:
We are encouraged to be purposeful with a range of media.
We appreciate a range of designers and their key styles.
We reflect on and respect work created by ourselves and others to enable us to progress.
We are inspired to work resiliently to explore and discover creative individuality.
We are developing transferrable life skills.We are encouraged to work collaboratively and share each other’s successes.